The Ministry of labour and employment has notified to exempt certain coal companies under the aiges of Coal India Ltd in respect of contract labour employment in the works specified in the schedule for a period of five years w.e.f. 7th December 2021 with respect to certain conditions.
The conditions exempting employment of contract labour in the works as specified in the Schedule, are:
- Interest of the workmen engaged in the above mentioned works be protected,
- Workmen be paid wages and other benefits as per the recommendations of the High Powered Committee appointed by the Coal India Limited, Ministry of Coal, Government of India and the rates notified by the Coal India Limited from time to time,
- Central Advisory Contract Labour Board will have the right to inspect the establishment to ensure and check whether such wages and benefits are given to such workers in Various Coal Company,
- Management of Various Coal Company shall ensure that whenever there is a change of contract, existing contract workmen who are working may be given preference in employment by the incoming contractor, subject to satisfactory performance of duties,
- Workmen working in jobs ancillary or incidental to coal mining works specified in Schedule shall get wages as determined by the High Powered Committee appointed by the Coal India Limited, Ministry of Coal, Government of India and the rates notified by the Coal India Limited from time to time,
- Contractor, as well as the Principal Employer, shall ensure payment of the said High Powered Committee wages, which increases every six months, and also other benefits as per the provisions of the Mines Act, 1952,
- Contract workers shall be covered under the provisions of the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972,
- Contract workers shall be paid bonus and leave with wages as per the provisions of the Mines Act, 1952.