With the intention to generate more employment and enable the retail industry to function better, Tamil Nadu government has allowed shops and establishments to remain operational for 24x7on all days for a period of three years.
Government of Tamil Nadu vide notification no G.O (Ms) No. 60 exempts all Shops And Establishments employing 10 or more persons from the provisions of sub-section 1 of Section 7 and sub-section (1) of Section 13 of the said Act and permits them to keep open the establishment 24x7 on all days of the year for a period of three year with effect from date of publication of this notification subject to conditions mentioned in the notifications, such as:
1) Employee shall be given one day holiday in a week on rotation basis and details shall be provided in Form-S included in the Tamil Nadu Shops and Establishment Rules, 1948 and Form-S shall be exhibited in a conspicuous place in the establishment,
2) Employer shall exhibit details of the employees who are on holiday/leave on daily basis in a conspicuous place in the establishment,
3) Wages including overtime wage shall be credited to their savings bank account,
4) Employer shall not allow any person to work for more than eight hours on any day and forty eight hours in any week and period of work including overtime shall not exceed ten and half hours in any day and fifty seven hours in a week,
5) Employees working on any holiday without proper indent of overtime shall attract penal action against the employer/manager as provided in the said Act and rules,
6) Women employees shall not be required to work beyond 8.00 p.m. on any day in normal circumstance. Provided that the employer after obtaining written consent from a woman employee shall allow her to work between 8.00 pm and 6.00 am subject to protection of her dignity, honour and safety,
7) Transport facilities shall be provided to the employee who works in shift. A notice shall be exhibited at the main entrance of establishment indicating availability of transport,
8) Employees shall be facilitated with restroom, washroom, safety lockers and other basic amenities,
9) Employers employing woman employee shall constitute an Internal Complaints Committee against sexual harassment of women under the Sexual Harassment Of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act 2013 and the said committee shall be operative.
On violation of any statutory provision and above terms and conditions noticed by the inspector, penal action.