The Punjab Government permits all the establishments registered under the Shops and Commercial Establishments in the State of Punjab to keep open on all 365 days of the year, for a further period of one year i.e., up to 30 May 2023, unless it is revoked, subject to certain conditions.
The Conditions are:
- Every employee working in the establishments shall be given one day holiday in a week without making any deductions from higher wages on account thereof and list of the timetable of such holidays for a month shall be placed on the notice board in advance.
- Every employee shall be given a rest period of one hour after 5 hours of continuous work.
- No employee shall be required to work for more than 9 hours in a day or 48 hours in a week.
- if the establishment remains open after 10.00 prn on any day, adequate safety and security arrangements shall be ensured for employees and visitors
- As establishments are being given permission to be open for all days new staff shall be appointed for the extended timing.
- Female employees shall be provided separate locker, security, and rest rooms at the workplace.
- Every employer employing women employees shall constitute Internal complaint committee against sexual harassment of women under the Sexual Harassment of women at workplace (prevention prohibition and Redressal) Act. 2013 and the said Committee shall be operative.
- Female employee will not be allowed to work after 8.00 P.M. Their written consent in this regard shall be taken as adequate safety and security arrangements of female employees shall be made during working hours and it shall be ensured that they safely reach home after their work is over.
- The Prevention of The child and Adolescent Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act 1986, as amended from time to rime, shall be implemented in the establishments,
- The employees shall be provided all the facilities mentioned in the relevant labour laws.
- consent letter shall be taken from the employees, and it should be kept as record in the establishments.
- The spread over of an employee shall not exceed eleven (11) hours in a day.
- Employee shall be given national and festival holidays with wages.
- The wages including overtime wages of the employees shall be credited to their saving bank account.
- In addition to these terms and conditions, all the provisions of the Act and other relevant Laws shall be applicable to the establishments.
- ln case of violation of any of the above terms and conditions or any other provision of the Act, the exemption shall be cancelled after giving a due opportunity of being heard by the Competent Authority.
Punjab Shops and Commercial Establishments (First Amendment) Rules, 2023
01 Mar, 2023The Government of Punjab has amended the Punjab Shops and Commercial Establishments Rules, 1958, to include provisions on exhibition of name board and penalty for non-compliance.
Circular mandating display of name board in Punjabi
03 Feb, 2023The Government of Punjab has mandated that the name board of all public and private shops and commercial establishments, and other institutions be displayed in Punjabi in Gurumukhi script by the 21st of February 2023.
Punjab Holidays List - 2023
13 Dec, 2022The Government of Punjab has released its list of holidays for the year 2023.
Paid Holiday to establishments for Elections in Punjab
10 Feb, 2022The Government of Punjab has issued a notification for ensuring paid holiday on the 20 February 2022 for the General Elections to Punjab Legislative Assembly throughout the State of Punjab.
Paid Holiday on 14 February 2021 in Punjab for voting in Municipal Corporation Elections
04 Feb, 2021The Labour Department of Punjab declared 14 February 2021 as a paid holiday for the employees and workers employed in the shops and establishments to cast their votes in the Municipal Corporation/Council/ Nagar Panchayat Bye-Election.